Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Base Ten Number Talks.

Hey Hey Hey, So I tried something today it was a modification of a kindergarten concept in Second Grade!

I have been working every week with an amazing 2nd grade team of teachers. This team is awesome every Monday they plan together and then give me some ideas of what they need as well as a lesson they are willing to let me model in their classrooms on Tuesday. Well, last week went well but today not so great. I am only going to tell you about the parts that went well.( because it is my blog and I can do that)  The Number Talk opening fluency activity went well! Yay!. The focus was to build understanding of place value as a way to organize numbers in different ratios (ratios of 10). Well, I did not say all that but I did say we can organize a number value differently and we call the organization different names like groups. Like group them using one units, tens sticks or hundreds. I really wanted to make the connection between the visual model and the ways to organize it.  I began to think about Sherry Parrish Number Talks, and how they build subitizing in kindergarten with dots. Then, later that afternoon, I overheard a 3rd grade teacher talk about her struggles with the 3rd grade Common Core math because some of the students have not been exposed to the early kindergarten Common Core lessons, to build a foundation from. I began to think how can I take the kindergarten idea of using dots to build fluency in subitizing and make it more geared toward second graders. What I came up with was this a set of powerpoint slides where students used formal base ten blocks to determine and convert models into numbers and vice versa numbers into models.  I also created some different ways to group and organize the same value number to see if they made and connections to why the system was developed. For example I showed 100 as 10 ten sticks next as 1 100 block next as 100 1 units. The students truly enjoyed this part of the lesson they were engaged and really having great mathematical discourse.(also called talking about numbers)

Here is a sample of what they looked like!




I am hoping to have  a more organized and comprehensive set available next week on my TPT store.
Anyone,who leaves a comment on this blog in the month of October I will send a free copy of the complete set. They are geared for Second Grade  I can't wait to hear your comments! Maybe I will even tell your about the part of the lesson that did not go so well. But then I might have to kill you! So not!

Happy Learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment