Monday, October 7, 2013

Dan Meyer: Math class needs a makeover, TED Talk on Teaching Math






 Here is a link if you cannot see the video

After watching this video I thought about how would this apply to the work we are already doing with TIPS problem solving model. 
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3JISWcawKtQcWNZU2VTS3B4dkE/edit?usp=sharing

This is an example of what we are already doing to try to bring Common Core Math to our students and have them do the thinking work. 
To take Dan Meyer's idea I would begin with this on Day 1. Presenting the question and creating buy in, in some instances you may have to do more than one piece of this in one day. So the question is 

How many posters did each boy have?

I could not find a video of students counting papers or posters I did find a picture of a large stack of posters I am planning to model how some one would count and exaggerate how long it would take when I do it.  Then I created this Anchor chart template

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3JISWcawKtQQlllejlkWVpIbXM/edit?usp=sharing

I am planning to brainstorm with the students about how to fill in this form, and not fill in any solutions. Then give them the problem TIPS sheet. The first day I really want to determine if students can use the anchor chart to figure out the key words and important numbers independently. The next problem solving session I will work with this group again to guide them into understanding this idea. While the others begin to use math tools and manipulate the numbers in the problem. 
I also to have a challenge set of numbers 100 60, for students whom can answer this very quickly. 


I am hoping that this leads to students better understanding of where to begin with problem solving. I also feel that the Anchor chart could be used as a basis for developing a more authentic and powerful explanation. In the past my students were always able to locate the key words and important numbers but never explain why or the process into how they chose them.  Wish me luck. I will post some of my results from this week of experimenting with Da Meyers idea.

Happy Tuesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment