Tuesday, August 26, 2014

How much do I love my big tpt purchase?

I can not believe how helpful my 2nd grade units of study for reading and writing workshop is, I mean really,really worth the big purchase. 

Here is the link: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Units-of-Study-Bundle-Grade-2-10-Months-of-Reading-Writing-Lessons-w-CCSS-1072004#

It is by Jen Bengal and it is truly a time,no life, no allow me to actually have a life saver. I have been to Teachers College and learned from the amazing Lucy calkins how workshop works. I have kept up by following tcrwp on twitter and being a stenohouse and heinamann addict.

But this big purchase I made during the big tpt 28% sale was so worth it. Today really proved it to me. I was thinking well maybe I should just stop with launching workshop and get into it and prepare these lil people for their first benchmark. Well well well,today we did a writing lesson using the book Tuesday as our mentor text. If you have not read Tuesday it is just a beautifully crafted story that is driven by the amazing illustrations. So, the idea was that my kiddos were going to write the words by using the illustrations as a guide. We began and of course I could not find my copy of Tuesday so I found a youtube video and added it to my teachem account so it was cued and ready to go. 

Dum dum duuuuuuum.....
Here they are frantically writing about the illustrations, giggling with delight as the story progressed, shrieking out please stop it here I want to write about this. I mean really. Loving this, budding little writers being created. They were utterly amazed at how much and with how much detail they were writing. 

So, if your budget will allow and you have a bit of knowledge about reading and writing workshop this is a valuable tool to organize and gain ideas for mini lessons and independent student products.  I am truly impressed and after this lesson I feel confident I am really preparing these lil people to handle the common core.

Well, that's all for now.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment